Friday, March 19, 2010

Jul...Jul...Jules Verne


"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." - Jules Verne


It's funny doing something that you're scared to do. I was in total fear of getting up in front of my class and having to present on Jules Verne. I had to do it though. I had to, because I wanted to get an "A" in this class. I wasn't going to let one assignment ruin it for me! Also, public speaking has always been my #1 fear(Well, besides reptiles and heights...) and being aware of my fear has always had a strange effect on me. I always seem to reach a boiling point where I get so sick of being scared that I can't wait to just run out and kick fear's ass. I become fixated on proving myself against this fear. When it reaches this point, the whole world plays in slow motion and it's a huge adrenaline rush. As I was speaking to my class, I knew that I was scared as hell, but I couldn't stop. The words just came out. All of the ideas and insights I'd planned to share with my class had to be heard.

I spoke the last few words of my presentation and I just
looked at my class, smiled and started laughing a little bit. I was still alive! Lol. I think my nervousness was obvious, but my professor and my classmates said that it was a really great presentation. It's always funny to look back and laugh about how scared I was about something so silly. The most awesome part about facing a fear is being able to look back and say that "I DID IT!" So now that public speaking is getting easier, maybe it's time to get brave around snakes??? Or not! Lol. :)

1 comment:

  1. "You get courage from fear right after you go through it." (: That's one of my favorite quotes from T.I. And it's so true. I remember so many times I had to get up in front of my spanish class for a presentation and by the end of being in practically the same class of people for four years....I would basically waltz up to the front of the class with my heart pounding through my chest, knowing that once I was done I would feel so much better. It's tough but it's also very satisfying once you've accomplished it.

    ReplyDelete