Friday, June 25, 2010

Watchmen

"Nobody knew I was there. These moments were just mine. Everything felt secret and enchanted." - Laurie Jupiter

I finished reading the graphic novel "Watchmen" by Alan Moore today. I'm not very familiar with the comic book world. I was lent a copy of "Watchmen" by one of my roommates who loves comics. I saw the "Watchmen" movie last year when it first came out with a friend who is also a fan of comics. I agreed to go see the movie without knowing anything about the storyline. I thought, "A movie about super heroes? Sure, why not?" Even though most of the characters in the story are arguably not "super" heroes and are just heroes, the movie struck an interest in me that I was not expecting. A philosophical interest. Becoming numb from the gruesome violence in the 3 hour long movie was the only downside for me, but I cannot deny its importance in setting the tone for the whole story.

Reading the graphic novel was good for me. I am a fan of quotes and analyzing characters' thoughts and words. Surprisingly, my favorite character was Rorschach who doesn't say much and when he does speak it's always of an unforgiving, yet determined view of the world and its current state. An interesting quote from Carl Jung is given at the end of one chapter.

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." - C. G. Jung "Memories, Dreams, Reflections"

Rorschach fights for what he thinks is right in the world and fights against what he believes are the evils of the world. I think that is his life's meaning. Though this quote by Carl Jung can inspire us to find a beautiful, refined meaning in life such as love, kindness and happiness, I think the meaning Rorschach finds is just as admirable in a different way.

I enjoyed the relationship between Laurie and Dr. Manhattan. Laurie, a normal, imperfect, female human and Dr. Manhattan, a man who has become supernatural and so very detached from a human being's way of thinking. Their relationship is overwhelming and beautiful at the same time.

"To distill so specific a form from that chaos of improbability, like turning air to gold...the thermo-dynamic miracle...anybody in the world...but the world is so full of people, so crowded with these miracles that they become commonplace and we forget. I forget...we gaze continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from another's vantage point, as if new, it may still take the breath away." - Dr. Manhattan

The world continually takes my breath away. People. All of our potential for good. The ability to love and move forward. The best part of ourselves that always lives somewhere, no matter how deep, in our hearts. The perfection of our imperfections.

"Time is simultaneous, an intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet." - Dr. Manhattan

I was very impressed with the story. It made for a great graphic novel and movie. I will end with yet another awesome quote. A quote that inspires all to fight for the world that we each deserve.

"We in this country, in this generation, are by destiny, rather than choice, the watchmen on the walls of world freedom." - J.F.K.'s intended speech

No comments:

Post a Comment